Summer is quickly coming to an end, so before it's over make sure to eat as much ice cream as you can. I'm not sure about you, but ever since I was a little girl I've LOVED choco tacos! I recently came across a copy cat recipe for these yummies on Molly Yeh's blog and had to give them a try! Growing up in Maine, I spent my summers chasing down the neighborhood ice cream truck and rummaging through every ice cream freezer in gas stations and convenient stores looking for these amazing frozen treats. The best thing about this recipe is that it's super simple and you can easily trade out regular flour for gluten free, or dairy ice cream for dairy-free! I made these with SO Delicious Cashew Milk non-dairy ice cream, semi sweet chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. Use anything your heart desires! This recipe makes about 6 shells! Feel free to half the recipe to make just a few :)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- dash of cinnamon
- Dairy or non-dairy ice cream of choice
- 2-4 oz Semi-sweet or dark chocolate (I used baking chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Chopped nuts of choice
- Mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- In separate bowl whisk together melted butter, milk, egg whites and extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, add some butter to avoid sticking and then spoon 2 - 2.5 tablespoons of batter onto hot skillet. Carefully using the back of your spoon, spread out as thin as possible keeping it's round shape. Let cook for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown, flip and cook for another minute or so.
- Turn a thin hardcover book upside down (into the shape of a tent) and cover with parchment. Place hot shell on top and allow to cool into a 'taco shell' shape.
- Repeat with remaining batter!
- Melt your chocolate with coconut oil in microwave safe bowl in short increments until melted.
- Scoop soft ice cream into shell, drizzle with chocolate and sprinkle with nuts! Once chocolate has slightly hardened, carefully wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to eat!