Banana Bread [GF + V]
I woke up this morning with a free day ahead and nothing in mind to bake. That doesn't happen very often..and when it does its quite frustrating. I had been eyeballing my 'too ripe to eat' bananas on the counter and considered baking up some of my favorite banana bread but that wasn't something I could post to the blog because well, it's already on there.
I spent my morning sleeping in, catching up on the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy and laid on my freshly made bed listening to the rain until almost noon. It was nice, I was scoping out baking blogs looking for inspiration but had zero. The only help I had was from my non-baking boyfriend who said 'croissants are good'. I loved his idea except he doesn't know that croissants take hours and hours of work...and I wasn't feeling motivated for that.
I finally decided to just bake some more banana bread...but then realized as I was walking to my kitchen I should make a Gluten free option! I perused google for Gluten-free banana bread recipes and landed on this one from lovely blogger Minimalist Baker. It happened to be Gluten Free, with a Vegan option AND I had all the ingredients. SOLD! I followed her recipe closely except subbed in coconut sugar for cane sugar, and left out the honey/maple syrup because I didn't want my bread too sweet. Today marks my first time baking using a 'flax egg' so fingers crossed! The loaf is in the oven now. I sprinkled the top with some chopped walnuts.. 28 more minutes on the timer.... now for trying to have some patience.
It's finally done and I've let it cool and it tastes GREAT..but I'm not quite sold on the texture. It's very heavy and sorta mushy...I have a feeling it's the flax egg. Well. It's not my favorite banana bread full of dairy and gluten but for a GF and Vegan recipe I say go for it! Next time I think I'll make it gluten free but keep the dairy for the light fluffy texture ;)
GLUTEN-FREE BANANA BREAD [V]
MAKES ONE 9X5 IN LOAF
Adapted from recipe by Minimalist Baker
- 3 medium ripe bananas (~1.5 cups or 337 g)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg (mix 1TB ground flax with 2.5 TB water and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup packed (55 g) light brown sugar
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsweetened almond milk or dairy milk
- 1 1/4 cup (137 g) almond flour
- 1 1/4 cup (200 g) gluten free flour blend (I used Bob's 1:1 baking flour)
- 1 1/4 cup (112 g) gluten free oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease or line 9x5 loaf pan with parchment.
- Mix up flax egg if using and set aside.
- Mash banana in a large bowl.
- Add all ingredients through milk and mix well!
- Add almond meal, gluten free flour and oats & stir just until combined.
- Bake for 45 min to an hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting.